Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Homecoming (well, sort of)

I went to Kamuning today. Needed to kill time before picking up my brother from school, so I thought it was the perfect opportunity to go to the market to source out materials for a project I'm currently working on.

I felt quite comfortable walking through the narrow, cluttered walkways of the palengke. I'm sure some of my friends would break into hives just at the thought of stepping foot into that crazy place, but I felt at ease. Weirdly enough I felt so nostalgic being there, and being amidst kitschy products, yards and yards of cloth, weird toys, shirts, slippers, tawas for the kilikili, chinchanchu, merthiolate bottles, walis tambos, baskets, and other knick-knacks.

I missed my bestfriend! Back when we were in gradeschool, we'd walk around the market looking for the latest songhits, a booklet of (mostly wrong) lyrics and guitar tabs of the most popular songs of the moment. She lived in the area, while our house was just a jeepney ride away.

We also used to go to this bookstore in the main road to buy scented stationery (mostly with bears and rabbits with bows), beads and yarn. Whenever we had plans to adventure off somewhere, that was our designated meeting place. The building is gone now though.

Come to think of it, Kamuning will always have a special place in my life. A lot of my childhood years were spent there, and most memories were fun and adventure-filled.

I'll probably be back soon. Sometimes, shopping in Kamuning beats going to Divisoria. At least the commute isn't that long.