Friday, October 3, 2008

Finding Mr. Bear

I've always said that I can't draw to save my life.
Surviving 4 years of art school is certainly the biggest accomplishment of my existence so far.
(Oh, that and passing Math17. Boooyeah!)

However, if I were asked by any random fella on the street to draw a dog, I'd probably give him scribbles of indecipherable nothingness.

Looking through old files, I saw this.
How I realized that I do have sporadic bursts of artistic flair.

Behold! Mr. Bear!

Copied this off an ad for Shangrila Hotel.
I used to carry around a filofax filled with an array of useless knick knacks.

I clearly remember the afternoon I drew Mr. Bear. We were outside the Painting rooms in Fine Arts, the tambayan of the then-barkada.
It was just the usual kwentuhan, lollygagging.

I sat there and I penciled Mr. Bear.
I am quite an introvert at times you know.
(insert rolling of eyes here)

Then, Jeremiah took notice of me and looked at Mr. Bear. He said,
"Wow! Marunong ka pala mag-drawing eh.
Masmagaling ka pa sa ibang tao dito.
Dapat mag-Fine Arts ka na rin!"
(Wow! You know how to draw! You've even better than some people here. You should be taking up Fine Arts as well.)

Fast forward 7 years, I am now a Fine Arts graduate. Haha!
But, I swear, I still can't draw even if my life depended on it.

However, I think I can still give it a try.

Who knows, I might even have an exhibit. Someday soon perhaps!